Below are my observations of the Tiger Woods press conference.
Overall, Tiger’s emotions, non-verbal communication, and words were very much aligned. He was truthful as he represented his feelings at the press conference. I did notice a couple of occasions when additional emotions leaked out. There was a subtle undertone of anger throughout spots of the press conference, I believe this to be Tiger’s disposition as a result of having his personal life subject to scrutiny. So without further adieu here are my observations.
- 0:38 Tiger’s initial apology “I am deeply sorry….”, you can see the relief in his body as his shoulders droop ever so slightly indicating his genuine remorse. Yet, directly following his statement he flashes a partial emblem “No” as his head moves side to side. I’m torn – what do you think?
- 2:12 Tiger mentions letting “Those of you who work for me” down with his action. I pick up a hint of anger during this statement. One can only speculate why he’s angry at Team Tiger. I don’t know enough to engage in any speculation.
- 3:40 Tiger again reiterates his apology for all his actions. His statements are genuine and his actions are consistent with his words. You will see a hard swallow, exhale, drooping shoulders, all consistent with his statement
- 4:18 When he discusses Ellin’s grace and poise. This statement appears to be false. Tiger displays a flash of anger followed by a distinct “No” emblem (head shaking back and forth) as he claims Ellin deserves praise not blame. Perhaps Tiger blames Ellin subconsciously for some of their marital problems, pure speculation.
- 4:52 “I stopped living by the core values that I was taught to believe in”. During this statement Tiger displays a subtle increase in his non-verbal manipulators as he rocks back and forth shifting his weight. I’m not sure Tiger believes his statement.
- 5:46 “I don’t get to play by different rules”, again an increase in non-verbal manipulation indicates he doesn’t believe this statement. After all, if you’ve got $500 million in the bank, I’d say you’ve got a different set of rules than the rest of us.
- 7:20 “It’s hard to admit I need help”, very subtle expression of disbelief across his mouth and eyes. Although it could be a swallow as he prepares for his next statement, it was hard to distinguish because his head was tilted down towards his notes.
- 8:01 When discussing whether Ellin and Tiger will stay together a subtle expression of doubt creeps across his face. I don’t blame him, given what they have been through, doubt is a reasonable reaction here.
- 8:28 Finally when Tiger denies taking performance enhancing drugs, his statement appeared to be truthful.
Overall, Tiger was genuine in his comments and showed a great deal of disappointment in his actions. It is not uncommon for someone to conceal their emotions even when they are being honest. I’d love to hear your comments and thoughts as well.